About, “Thorny Mountain Fire Tower at Seneca State Forest.”
• Thorny Mountain Fire Tower got its start as the Michael Mountain Fire Tower built in 1924, 4.8 miles away. In 1935 it was moved to its current location.
• The Fire Tower was in operation until 1988 when it was removed from service by the WV Division of Forestry.
• On June 3rd, 1988 the Fire Tower was placed on the National Historic Lookout Register.
• On June 20th, 2015, WV 152 Birthday, “WV Day” the Parks and Recreation Department of the WV Department of Natural Resources opened the Fire Tower as an overnight rental.
• The Fire Tower Cabin is 12×12 feet and is 14×14 feet with catwalk and railing.
• The Fire Tower Cabin sits 65 feet above the ground.
• There is more window space per square feet than wall space.
• Between you and the ground is 69 steps. Plan your bathroom breaks.
• The Fire Tower did not have power or water while in operation and doesn’t today.
• Between May and October reservations can be made a year in advance to rent this unique overnight attraction.
• You can read about our stay at the Fire Tower by clicking the following link: Read About Our Stay At The Thorny Mountain Fire Tower.
• For reservations call (304) 799-6213 or 1-800-CALL-WVA.
Explore, Learn, and Grow!
Subscribe to be updated when new posts are released.