About, “Cranberry Glades Botanical Area: Monongahela National Forest!”
• The Cranberry Glades Botanical Area the “Glades” is the largest area of protected bogs in West Virginia.
• The Botanical Area encompasses over 750 acres located over 3,400 feet above sea level.
• The natural history of the Glades can be traced back to the last Ice Age when most of its plant life seeded itself here.
• The peat and decaying organic matter is over 10 feet deep.
• Cranberries do actually grow in the “Glades.”
• The Glades is home to two carnivorous plants, the sundew and pitcher plant.
• The Flag Glade, “an 8-acre bog within the Glades” is the most accessible area with a 0.6-mile boardwalk, “The Cranberry Bog Boardwalk.”
Explore, Learn, and Grow!
Subscribe to be updated when new posts are released.